The Elements of Drawing, John Ruskin’s teaching collection at Oxford

The Elements of Drawing, John Ruskin’s teaching collection at Oxford

Browse: 1470 objects

Reference URL

Actions

Send e-mail

Contact us about this object

Send e-mail

Send to a friend

Part of a Star Crown: enlarged Drawing of Dürer's "Virgin with a Sceptre and Crown of Stars" George Allen

  • Details

    Artist/maker
    after Albrecht Dürer (1471 - 1528) (engraver)
    Object type
    drawing
    Material and technique
    watercolour over graphite on wove paper
    Dimensions
    329 x 477 mm
    Inscription
    Recto:
    bottom, towards right, in graphite (recent): G·Allen
    top, towards right, in graphite, upside down (recent): Allen after Durer (E 74)

    Verso:
    top centre, in graphite, struck through in graphite: 37 B
    top left, in graphite, struck through in graphite: 3.E Star [?]
    printed over the previous inscription, the Ruskin School's stamp
    just below, in graphite: E 231
    Provenance

    Presented by John Ruskin to the Ruskin Drawing School (University of Oxford), 1875; transferred from the Ruskin Drawing School to the Ashmolean Museum, c.1949.

    No. of items
    1
    Accession no.
    WA.RS.ED.231
  • Subject terms allocated by curators:

    Subjects

  • References in which this object is cited include:

    References

    Ruskin, John, ‘The Ruskin Art Collection at Oxford: Catalogues, Notes and Instructions’, Edward T. Cook and Alexander Wedderburn, eds, The Works of John Ruskin: Library Edition, 39 (London: George Allen, 1903-1912), 21, cat. Educational no. 231

    Ruskin, John, Catalogue of Examples Arranged for Elementary Study in the University Galleries (Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1870), cat. Educational no. 37.B

    Ruskin, John, Catalogue of the Educational Series (London: Smith, Elder, 1871), cat. Educational no. X.3.E

    Ruskin, John, Catalogue of the Educational Series (London: Spottiswoode, 1874), cat. Educational no. 231

Location

    • Western Art Print Room

Position in Ruskin’s Collection

Ruskin's Catalogues

© 2013 University of Oxford - Ashmolean Museum